Sunday, July 29, 2007

What God Hath Promised

One year ago today my grandmother died. And on this day, her favourite poem comes to mind. She handed me this crinkled and torn piece of paper she had cut out of the church bulletin one day, telling me that it was her favourite poem. She asked if I would please type it up for her. Not until after she had become sick did I remember to do what she had asked a few months prior. On blue paper written in cursive print, I typed up her favourite poem, and hung it on her bedroom wall where she could always see it.

God hath not promised
Skies always blue,
Flower-strewn pathways
All our lives through;
God hath not promised
Sun without rain,
Joy without sorrow,
Peace without pain.

But God hath promised
Strength for the day,
Rest for the labor,
Light for the way,
Grace for the trials,
Help from above,
Unfailing sympathy,
Undying love.
--Annie Johnson Flint

1 comment:

Wanda said...

A good poem. You grandmother must have been very special.